Thursday, January 21, 2010

Home Renovation -

Well, not a renovation per se but there are changes coming today. I am sitting in my recliner waiting for UPS to show up with my hospital equipment for treatment. I spoke with the pharmacist from the in home IVIG provider yesterday and found out that I will be receiving the following:

An IV Pole
IV tubing and needles
A sharps container
IV Benedryl
An Epi Pen
Tape that I hope I am not allergic to
My medicine
A laundry list of things I don't remember

This is all a bit overwhelming for me but it is the way my doctor and I wanted it so I'll just have to roll with the punches. I had to laugh on the phone yesterday when the pharmacist told me how to handle the medicine. For those of you who do not know, IVIG is a human blood product. Basically, they filter out healthy immune cells from donors to put in my system and override my messed up immune cells that are attacking my muscles. Anyway, the pharmacist said to refrigerate it until 12 hours prior to infusion and then let it warm in a safe room temperature setting. She said do not microwave, put it under warm water, boil it in a pan, or (and here is where I laughed out loud) put it in a diaper warmer. I said "what???" She laughed too and said these were all things other patients had done and that it would destroy the medicine...oh, it never ceases to amaze me.

It reminded me of a story my aunt shared with me. She is a labor and delivery nurse and she used to volunteer at the free clinic once a week. There was a teen girl who had gotten pregnant and was surprised because she said she was using jelly. My aunt asked what type and she said Smuckers grape flavor. I don't claim to be the smartest sandwich in the basket but these stories always give me a good laugh.

In addition to my new treatment plan, I am attempting to go back to work on Monday. This was supposed to happen three weeks ago but my unexpected hospital stay put a cramp in my plans. I am praying for strength and stamina as our family needs my income and I need to get out of the house for my sanity. I am going to ease back into it but it didn't go so well the last two times. I am a bit more optimistic now that I have a solid medication protocol, we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment